Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Modesty Lesson

As my daughter Amber gets older and the styles keep changing, Rick & I are having to approach modesty with  her. Our latest battle is over swimsuits. The biggest in style is the bikini.

About a day or two ago, Amber * I got into a pretty big argument about this. I tried to explain what modesty was. Being a preteen girl, she totally thought I was being mean and OLD. I even tried pulling up a website that showed MODEST swimsuits. These suits we lycra dresses with lycra tights underneath. Of course, Amber didn't like them. I can't honestly say I liked them either! ;-)

Then this morning, my son decided to say some inappropriate language. After he sat down in timeout, we read chapters 2 & 3 from Genesis. We talked about sin and the first sin. It was here that all of a sudden it clicked for Amber. When I read that after eating from the tree of knowledge Adam & Eve were ashamed of being naked and covered up with fig leaves. My daughter then says, "This is why we cover ourselves up." Then as we read that God created tunics from skin she finally says, " I get it, Mom".

I love how God can take everyday experiences and make them the most amazing "Aha" moments. Praying that through your experiences today and the next week, you get that Aha moment. May God bring you and/or your children closer to Him through those daily tasks.

No comments:

Post a Comment